Oakwood Integrated Primary School opened as the result of the hard work and commitment of a small group of dedicated parents, who felt that the kind of schooling they wished for their children, did not exist in the area.
Oakwood IPS opened its doors in 1996 with just 34 children.
Today we have a beautiful purpose-built primary school and a brand new nursery building with 203 children in our primary and 26 children in our part-time nursery, which operates from 8.45am-11.15am.
Learning, working and playing together for a better tomorrow,' is at the heart of everything we do at Oakwood.
It's a special kind of place and its inclusive nature was recognised when Oakwood became the first primary and therefore also the first integrated primary school in Northern Ireland to achieve the Inclusion Quality Mark (IQM) in May 2010.
In January 2014, Oakwood IPS was the first school in Northern Ireland to achieve IQM Flagship status. In February 2017, Oakwood maintained its Flagship status and became a Flagship 2 school.
At Oakwood Integrated Primary School, it is important that everyone feels they can and indeed does achieve their full potential. The Education and Training Inspectorate (ETI) recognised the outstanding quality of teaching and learning and the outstanding pastoral provision at Oakwood.
Oakwood IPS is a hub school for Teaching and Learning Schools NI (TLS) and is one of four schools recognised as a Designated OLEVI Centre (DOC) for Northern Ireland.
Oakwood Integrated Primary School's inclusive, child-centred approach supports achievement and positive lifelong attitudes to learning by working with children to help them to:
- Achieve high standards in all areas of the curriculum.
- Become confident, self motivated learners.
- Be able to work independently and collaboratively.
- Develop essential life skills.
- Have high self esteem while understanding and displaying mutual respect.
- Be equally aware of rights and responsibilities.
- Become highly skilled users of ICT.
- Be aware of and nurture their spiritual dimension.
- Seek to adopt a healthy lifestyle.